I love Japanese food. This is one of the key reason I choose to visit Japan for holidays to enjoy the truly authentic and purest cuisine. Well, you can find some good Japanese food here in town too.
Following are my pick list for your consideration.
1. Takujo Japanese Dining @ Emporium Shokuhin located at Marina Square. You will get to experience modern Japanese cuisine while dining in an intimate setting.
If you are yearning for a good & light meal, try out the Kaisen Don Set.
Followed by a slice of Valrhona Chocolate Mousse – Valrhona dark chocolate mousse on a hazelnut crunchy base, with champagne chocolate ganache.
Sounds steam, right?
If you would like a cozy dinner, you may opt to go for one of the 3 dinner set offered in their menu.
As we happened to know the boss of this restaurant, I had the privilege to experience their specially crafted menu (something like omakase) which is not in their standard menu.
Duo of French Oysters – 2 varieties of imported french oysters, shucked to order & with a dash of ponzu
Salmon roe with uni (sea urchin)
Flamed A5 ‘Miyazaki’ Wagyu – top grade A5 ‘Miyazaki’ Japanese wagyu beef, lightly seared
Hamachi Kama & Daikon – yellowtail cheek with savoury sauce on a braised radish
Unagi Kabayaki Don – grilled eel in homemade bbq sauce
Topping off with the Japanese Tofu Cheese Cake is the way to a happy ending for a delightful evening.
2. The Sushi Bar, a casual restaurant serving fine Japanese food, located at Ngee Ann City on Level 5. Love the sashimi as each piece is thickly sliced to savour its richness.
5 Kind Sashimi – Salmon, Tuna, Yellowtail, Swordfish, Squid
Aburi Kaisen Chirashi Don – Torched sashimi over rice
Hotate Salmon Aburi
Ika Geso Karaage – Deep fried squid tenticles
Amaebi Karaage – Deep fried sweet shrimps
Salmon Aburi Roll
Soft Shell Crab Roll
Garlic Fried Rice
Kaisen Chirashi Don – Salmon, Tuna, Swordfish, Yellowtail, Scallop, Salmon Belly, Salmon Roe and Tamago over rice
3. Rakuichi Japanese Restaurant located in Dempsey Road is another ultimate experience for traditional Japanese cuisine.
Try their Rakuichi bento above ($48.80).
The bento sets are value for money. This place is good for lunch and slightly pricier for dinner.
4. My personal all time favourite place is Hakumai Sushi & Omakase located at International Plaza. The specialty is their Omakase. You can read more in detail in my other experience on “Japanese Dining – Omakase” which I will not elaborate here.
They do offer value for money bento set for lunch and dinner too.
Specially crafted bento meal.
Hope the pictures above is good enough to tempt you to head down for the savoury experience.
If you are really lost on what to order, go for the chirashi bento set or the hakumai bento set. Else, any bento set will still be a good choice! 😉
For pasta lovers, never leave this place without having a go at their uniquely crafted ‘Truffle Angel Hair’.
5. Lunch bowls at Tanuki Raw located on Level 4 of Orchard Central.
Foie Gras Truffle Yakiniku – Pan seared foie gras, US black angus short rib, onsen egg, truffle soy sauce and black garlic brown butter over Tanuki Raw’s signature mixed rice
Tanuki Kaisen Chirashi – Uni, tuna, negitoro, salmon sashimi, aburi salmon belly, scallop, sea bream, swordfish, white tuna, yellow tail, ikura, tamago and ebiko over Tanuki Raw’s signature mixed rice
Uncle Hiro’s Chicken – Fried boneless chicken marinated with Uncle Hiro’s take on local flavours. Served with smoked ketchup
Spam Wham – Thick cut spam fries deep fried, piled high with umami cheese, black garlic brown butter gravy, guacamole, onions and sour cream
Tanuki Aburi Maki – Salmon and scallop wrapping a roll of snowcrab, unagi, cucumber and avacado. Torched wasabi mayo, Tanuki oko sauce, crispy katsuo flakes and chives
6. Another place is Ikoi Japanese Restaurant located in Miramar Hotel. Patrons usually opt for their ala-carte buffet which is more value for money. You may try as many dishes on the buffet menu so long as you have enough capacity. Simply put, you order, they prepare and you eat upon serving. 现点现做现吃。
The salmon dish is the opening dish before you start and only served once.
I love their fried rice the most. You really need to eat to understand what I mean.
Try it when you dine there.